Paleng Pator Khar (Spinach Khar)
- Spinach leaves: 150 gms
- Egyptian (red) lentil: 50 gms
- Mustard oil: 3 tbsps
- Chopped green onion: 2 tbsps
- Chopped garlic cloves: 1 tbsp
- Salt and sugar: to taste
- Kolakhar (Indigenous soda): ½ tbsp
- Hot water: 300 ml
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
- For garnishing: half fried garlic, mustard oil, crushed fresh pepper
- Clean, wash and soak Egyptian lentil for half an hour.
- Clean, wash and drain the spinach leaves. Chop the leaves.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add chopped green onion and garlic cloves. Stir.
- When the garlic changes colour add lentil and spinach leaves.
- Stir for a minute.
- Add salt, sugar, kolakhar and water. Stir.
- Bring the pressure cooker to full pressure.
- Reduce heat to minimum and cook for two minutes.
- When cool open pressure cooker.
- Add mustard oil, half fried garlic and crushed fresh pepper to enhance the flavour.
- Serve Paleng Pator Khar with boiled rice as a first course of lunch.
Notes: An old grandmother saying is that Khar should be enjoyed only with a midday meal.