Pithagurir Tenga (Rice powder Tenga)
- Fish: 6 pieces
- Salt and turmeric powder: to rub on the fish pieces
- Oil: for frying the fish pieces
- Rice powder: 1 tbsps
- Hot water: 600 ml
- Turmeric powder: ½ level tsp
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: a pinch
- Crushed garlic (optional): 4 pods
- Dry cocum (Thekera): 6
- Sugar: ½ tsp
- Salt: to taste
- To garnish: coriander leaves
- Soak the cocum in half cup of warm water for half an hour.
- Mash the cocum with finger tips.
- Clean, wash and drain the fish.
- Rub it with salt and turmeric powder. Keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a karahi. Half fry the fish pieces.
- Keep the fried fish on a paper napkin to drain excess oil.
- Mix the rice powder with a little water. Add it with the hot water.
- Add salt, sugar and turmeric powder to it.
- Heat fresh mustard oil. Add fenugreek seeds and crushed garlic.
- When the seeds are red add the hot mixture to the karahi.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add fish. Cook until the fish is soft. Add cocum juice. Stir.
- Serve Pithagurir Tenga with steamed rice.
- Enjoy with a green chilli.
Notes: If cocum is unavailable can add 1 ½ tbsps lemon juice.