Tilor torkari (Fish with sesame)
- Ari fish: 6 pieces
- Sesame paste: 2 tbsps
- Sliced onion: 1 medium
- Mustard oil: to fry the fish
- Mustard oil (to prepare the curry): 2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds: a pinch
- Dry chillies: 2
- Bay leaves: 2
- Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: as desired
- Salt: to taste
- Water: 200 ml
- Wash the fish and drain.
- Rub turmeric powder and salt.
- In a pan fry the fish pieces.
- Heat oil a a karai.
- Fry cumin seeds, dry chillies and bay leaves.
- When the seeds turn red add the sliced onion.
- Also add the chilli powder.
- When the onions are soft add the sesame seeds.
- Upon medium heat stir for about 15 seconds and add warm water.
- Also add salt to taste and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the fish pieces and cook.
- When the gravy is of desired consistency and the fish pieces are soft switch off the gas.
- Garnish and enjoy with boiled rice.
Notes: Instead of chilli powder you can use about 1 tsp of pepper powder. The pepper should be added just before switching off the gas.