Paleng Xaakor Maachor Jhol (Fish Curry with Spinach)
- Fish: 10 pieces
- Salt and turmeric powder: to rub on the fish pieces
- Oil: for frying the fish pieces
- Spinach: 250 gms
- Onion: 1 medium size
- Potato: 2 medium size
- Ginger: 1 (1 inch length)
- Mustard oil: 2 tbsps (for cooking)
- Panch phuron: ½ level tsp
- Turmeric powder: level tsp
- Hot water: 800 ml
- Fresh ground pepper: 1 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Clean, wash and drain the fish pieces.
- Clean, wash and drain the spinach. Chop the spinach.
- Peel and wash the potatoes and make desired size pieces.
- Peel, wash and chop the onion.
- Peel, wash and crush the ginger.
- Rub salt and turmeric powder to the fish pieces.
- Heat mustard oil and fry the fish until half done.
- Heat fresh mustard oil. Add panch phuron.
- When it turns red add onion and fry them until soft.
- Add chopped spinach and the potatoes. Keep the fire moderate.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder. Stir for a minute and cover.
- Stir oMethodasionally. When dry add hot water. Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add fish and crushed ginger.
- Simmer till the fish is soft. Sprinkle fresh ground pepper.
- Enjoy Paleng Xaakor Jhol on a chilly winter night.
Notes: Panch phuron is a mixture of mustard seed, fenugreek, cumin seed, coriander seed and Nigella.