Bilahi Aru Outengar Tenga (Tomato & Elephant Apple Tenga)
- Rohu fish: 10 pieces
- Oil: for frying the fish pieces
- Salt and turmeric powder: to rub the fish pieces
- Ripe elephant apple (Outenga): ½
- Sliced tomatoes: 750 gms
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: a pinch
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Hot water: 850 ml
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsps
- Sugar: ½ tsp
- Salt: to taste
- To garnish: green chillies
- Clean the fish. Drain and rub well with salt and turmeric powder.
- Keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove the outer thick coating and inner core of the outenga.
- Cut the middle layer of the outenga into one inch pieces. Clean and pound the pieces to make it soft.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Half fry the fish pieces and keep it on a paper napkin to drain excess oil.
- In a karahi heat 1 tbsp fresh oil and add fenugreek seeds. When the seeds turn black remove from oil.
- Add sliced tomatoes and the outenga. Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt.
- Let it cook upon moderate heat covered till the tomatoes become soft.
- Add hot water and bring to boil. Simmer covered for about eight minutes.
- Add fish and simmer covered until the fish is soft.
- Sprinkle sugar. Stir. Add lemon juice.
- Garnish with green chillies and serve Bilahi Aru Outengar Tenga with plain rice.
Notes: Can relish the tenga as a cold soup on a sunny hot day.