Masur Dailot Outenga (Egyptian Lentil with Elephant Apple)
- Egyptian lentil: 100 gms
- Poka outenga (Ripe elephant apple): ½
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Mustard oil: 2 tbsps
- Fenugreek seeds: ½ level tsp
- Sliced onion: 1 medium
- Green chillies: 2
- Salt and sugar: to taste
- For garnishing: a few sprigs of coriander leaves
- Clean and soak the lentil for half an hour.
- Remove the outer thick coating and inner core of the outenga.
- Cut the middle layer of the outenga into one inch pieces.
- Wash the outenga pieces. Pound the pieces to make the hard pieces soft.
- Boil the lentil and outenga adding water in a pressure cooker.
- Also sprinkle salt, sugar and turmeric powder.
- Heat mustard oil in a karahi. Splutter mustard seeds and add sliced onion and green chillies.
- When the onions are brown add the hot dail.
- Cook covered for a minutes. Remove from fire.
- Serve hot Masur Dailot Outenga with plain rice.
- Garnishing with coriander leaves and enjoy with a fresh green chilly.
Notes: Can relish as a soup on a sunny day. Egyptian lentil is also known as red lentil.