Maachor Muri Ghonto (Fish Head with Lentil)
- Rohu fish head: 500 gms
- Salt: 1 level tsp
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Oil: for frying the fish head pieces
- Green gram (Moong dal): 150 gms
- Mustard oil: 3 tbsps
- Green cardamoms (crushed): 4
- Bay leaves: 3
- Asafoetida: a pinch
- Cumin seeds: ½ level tsp
- Chopped onion: 2 medium sized
- Salt: to taste
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Hot water: 600 ml
- To decorate: tomato pieces
- Make four pieces of the fish head.
- Clean, wash and drain the fish head pieces.
- Rub salt and turmeric powder to the pieces.
- Heat mustard oil and half fry the fish head pieces.
- Keep one tbsp of lentil aside and roast the remaining lentil till slightly red.
- Add both the lentil together. Wash and drain.
- Heat fresh mustard oil in a pressure cooker. Add cardamoms, bay leaves, asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds turn red add the chopped onion.
- Fry upon medium heat till the onions are brown.
- Add the fish head pieces and lentil. Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir for a minute and add hot water.
- Close cooker. Bring the pressure cooker to full pressure.
- Reduce heat to minimum. Keep upon fire for 5-6 minutes and remove the cooker from fire.
- Cool. Open cooker. Stir.
- Decorate with tomato pieces and serve Maachar Muri Ghonto as a second course with rice after Khar.
Notes: The best way to relish an Assamese meal is to eat it with hands.